
Police personnel inspect a house at Keezhara near Kannapuram in Kannur that was badly damaged after stored fireworks exploded, on August 30, 2025.
| Photo Credit: The Hindu
The Crime branch has taken over the investigation into the blast at Keezhara, Kannapuram, that killed one person and destroyed a rented house at around 2 a.m. on Saturday (August 30, 2025). A special team led by District Crime Branch ACP will handle the probe.
Police have registered a case under the Explosive Substances Act against Anoop Malik, who had taken the house for rent from Mr. Govindhan. Malik, a native of Kannur, is already an accused in a 2016 blast case at Podikund. The deceased has been identified as Mohammed Asham of Chalad, Kannur, a relative of Malik.

Muhammad Asham, who was killed in the incident. File
Kannur district Police chief P. Nidinraj said Asham died instantly in the explosion. Another person sustained injuries and was hospitalised. Police are also searching for Malik.
According to investigators, the house was being used to manufacture explosives, including high-explosive firecrackers used during festivals. No license had been obtained for the production. The police chief said further investigation was needed to establish the full scale of the activity. The rented house was reduced to rubble in the explosion and the impact also damaged nearby houses.
Published – August 30, 2025 03:35 pm IST